The Media and Outreach Officer is a new position and the successful candidate will be expected to bring an entrepreneurial approach to the role. Are you looking for a new challenge? Are you looking for freedom in your role as well as the ability to work with a very international scope dealing with 60+ different countries? Are you interested in a non profit organization culture that works for a greater mission?
Reporting to the Communications Officer, who is managed by the Director oof the organization, the Media and Outreach Officer will be responsible for media relations , with a particular focus on policy makers. This is a great opportunity for a motivated individual to shape the public outreach strategy of a large, international organization.
The successful candidate will:
· Increase the profile among journalists, media, public and policy makers by proactively pitching stories and working with research colleagues to write op-eds and guest articles in external publications;
· Train and support spokespeople to represent at public events and in the media;
· Plan, prepare and coordinate media events such as press launches of study reports;
· Compile media lists and develop and report back on media relations and coverage of work;
· Develop and maintain an active network of relevant media contacts, ideally building on existing relationships carried over from previous roles;
· Support the Communications Officer with managing and expanding social media channels
· Create content, manage and update public-facing pages on the website
· Support colleagues with organizing and managing events (e.g. annual research conference)
· Keep up to date with the main issues and debates in education policy and pro-actively identify opportunities for contributions;
· Identify opportunities for briefings and dialogue between government officials and the organization's officials;
· Prepare communications materials (written and multimedia) to support the recruitment and retention of participants for studies;
What are we looking for?
Candidates must have a solid base in public relations and communications with specialized interest and expertise in media and policy relations.
The successful candidate will be a motivated team player with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships among internal and external stakeholders. He or she will possess exemplary communication skills (both written and verbal), strong planning and organizational abilities, initiative, attention to detail and cultural sensitivity for working within an international context.
Previous employment within a media relations role in a research or non-governmental organization is preferred . Candidates should be skilled in adapting key messages to suit different audiences. The ideal candidate will also be skilled in communicating research to a policy audience. Experience with educational research and assessments is a bonus.
· Right to work in the Netherlands;
· Minimum qualifications: 1) a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications/media relations, international relations or other relevant discipline and 2) a minimum of two years in a professional media relations or public outreach role on behalf of an organization, preferably in an international setting;
· Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (native or near native is preferred), a confident public speaker and clear and fluent writer in English.
· A born networker, ideal candidates will already have existing, relevant journalist or media contacts and will proactively develop and expand these connections;
· Excellent digital and online communication skills, previous professional experience with social media and website management are preferred;
· A natural story teller, candidates should be adept at identifying and crafting stories which will interest target audiences and attract media attention;
Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and commitment to ensuring the accuracy of information;
· Multimedia skills (basic graphic design, photojournalism or video editing) are a strong asset;
Diplomatic approach to working with internal and external stakeholders, cultural sensitivity and awareness of the challenges of working in an international organization;
· Experience and interest in research communications is preferred, ideally within an educational context;
Ability to manage a busy workload with tight deadlines. Experience with event and/or project management are assets;
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with other partners in a global and multicultural environment;
Motivated self-starter with the ability to initiate ideas and follow them through to completion;
Experience with multicultural team work and the ability to travel.
The company offers a very attractive package and offers great benefits including:
- Direct contract
- Competitive salary
- High level Pension contribution
- 100% travel costs